The Travel Scholarship Committee of the Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences (ALHHS)/Medical Museums Association (MeMA) is now accepting applications from those seeking funds to support their attendance at the 2020 Annual Meeting in Ann Arbor, MI on May 6-7. ALHHS/MeMA awards up to four annual conference travel stipends to members of the organization who are staff, volunteers, students, or early career professionals working for health science history museums, libraries, or archives. The purpose of these awards is to encourage and support continued education and professional engagement for those working in the field.
The Awards are:
- Patsy Gerstner Travel Fund ($300.00)
- Gretchen Worden Memorial Travel Fund ($300.00)
- Joan E. Klein Travel Scholarship (two $500.00 awards)
- These awards are open to students who are degree-seeking individuals attending an accredited college or university, and to staff, volunteers or early career professionals working in the history of the health sciences, particularly, in libraries, archives, or museums. Early career professionals are those who have worked in the history of the health sciences field fewer than five years, although they may have been employed in the profession longer.
- Applicants should submit a brief personal statement (no more than 500 words) which highlights their interest in the conference, how attendance will benefit them, and why they need financial support.
- Applicants should submit along with their application a letter of recommendation from either their academic advisor (students) or immediate supervisor (staff and volunteers). These letters should be sent by the applicant with the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications must be received 8 weeks before the opening session of the conference. The deadline for the 2020 Annual Meeting is February 28th, 2020. Late applications will not be considered.
- All applicants will be notified of the scholarship committee decision 6 weeks prior to the start of the conference. This is March 26th, 2020.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
- The Travel Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award all travel stipends in any particular year.
Submit the Application Form, a personal statement, and a letter of recommendation by Wednesday, 27 February 2019:
Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library
PO Box 208014
New Haven, CT 06520-8014
katherine.isham AT yale.edu